APPLICATIONS ARE NOW CLOSED – SOLD OUT
The Book Bound 2016 residential retreat took place 17 – 19 June at the stunning Oxon Hoath manor house in Kent. Those few accepted enjoyed a weekend of workshops, one-on-one assessments, professional guidance, development tips and a network of fellow writers. The weekend culminated in the opportunity to meet influential children’s literary agents.
APPLICATIONS ARE NOW CLOSED.
For reference, each application will be reviewed and accepted on a first-come, first-served basis. We promise that you’ll wait no longer than two weeks for a response, and it may be much faster. Applicants can be writing early readers through to young adults, but we are afraid no picture books on this retreat.
In contrast to other writing conferences, only a small group of writers will be selected to attend. This retreat is for skilled writers who show promise and who will most benefit from the Book Bound experience.
- Applicants are asked to submit via email an application, synopsis, cover letter and the first 4,000 words of their novel. Download the full details and the form in this Word document: Book_Bound_Application_and_Terms_2016
- This retreat is for writers who have mastered the basics and are ready to take their writing to the next level
- If you have any questions you’d like to ask, please email us on firstname.lastname@example.org
£350 per person for a shared bedroom with one other person and a shared bathroom with no more than two other people. (You can apply separately or with a roommate.)SOLD OUT £450 per person for a private bedroom with a shared bathroom with no more than two other peopleSOLD OUT £495 per person for a private bedroom and bathroom (not necessarily en suite)SOLD OUT
The 2016 fee also covers:
- key note address by Sarah Odedina, publisher of wonders like The Graveyard Book, Holes, Maggot Moon and all the Harry Potter books
- three intensive workshop sessions, with a maximum of eight writers per group
- an in-depth one-on-one, examining your work
- two presentations of practical tips to manage your author life
- a multi-agent panel with time for networking
- a ‘practice your pitch’ workshop
- two nights in a gorgeous 14th century mansion
- either a private or a shared bathroom, depending on fee level
- all of your meals – the venue specialise in exceptional vegetarian cuisine that is all grown and prepared on site. If you would like a meat option or have other special dietary requirements there is a small additional charge
- towels and linens
- a workbook based on the course
- a network of writers like you and continued access to Book Bound mentors after the course
The fee does not cover:
- travel to the venue
- alcohol, but there is a bar
Read a round up of our 2014 retreat here.
THE BOOK BOUND GRANT – APPLICATIONS FOR WHICH ARE NOW CLOSED
The Book Bound team are delighted to announce that for the first time, we will be offering a grant to one writer for the 2016 weekend retreat at Oxon Hoath.
The Book Bound grant is worth £495 and covers all standard food options, accommodation and teaching for the weekend retreat. It does not cover travel. The aim of the grant is to support a writer who would be unable to afford the retreat fee, and thus enable them to benefit from the Book Bound experience.
Applicants will be judged on the promise of their writing as well as need. For the year 2016 we will be awarding one grant.
Those applying for the grant should follow the same guidelines as are set out in our standard application but in addition we will also require a 250-word statement that explains your financial situation and why you need the grant. Please title that paragraph Book Bound Grant Application.
The successful applicant will be expected to pay a deposit of £50 on acceptance of the award. This amount will be returned upon completion of the retreat.
DEADLINE for grant applications has now passed.
To make sure this grant goes to right person, please only apply if you would be unable to attend the retreat without the financial assistance.
Submissions not in compliance with the application process will not be considered.
If you are interested in hearing more about future retreats and would like occasional writing tips, updates about the course and first looks at the contests we run, please subscribe by filling in the comment below. We will not give your information to anyone else, but we will contact you with information about the course.